Sunday, September 23, 2012

Movies in Your Spare Time #1

                                                   The Fighter-  3.5 Stars

         Overall I really liked the idea and plot of this movie.  The reason why I only give it three stars is because I felt like Mark Walburg's family problems dragged on way to much throughout the movie.  Over half the movie was about his girlfriend, and his brother and mother's drug issues.  I understand why they implement this theme into the movie.  The director wants to show some adversity in the plot.  But after a while it got annoying and just made the movie go by slower.  I still found this movie to tell a very touching story, and having knowledge that it is a true story makes it even better.  If you are into drama and being inspired I recommend watching "The Fighter". 
         The technique used in this video was very typical.  In the scene where Micky tells his brother he can no longer work with him the director zooms into each others faces closer and closer as the conversation goes on.  I also notice their choice off music during different scenes.  During the final fight, the background music is soft and intense.  And then when Micky wins the fight the music gets loud and much more up beat.  
         The film reminded me much of the movie "Cinderella Man".  Both movies deal with adversity, and boxing.  I feel their was much more at stake during Cinderella Man,  as Russel Crowe is trying to keep a roof over his family during the great depression.  

4 comments:

  1. I would claim that this is not a boxing movie, this is a story of someone with a fascinating life who happened to be a boxer. I don't think we should fault a film for effectively realizing the lives of it's characters, and I think this movie had higher aspirations than simply a rocky-esque popcorn flick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im with Alex, i think this film really was more about the life of Micky Ward, his struggles and his hardships. However i do agree that knowing this is a true story really makes it an inspiring one. I know that i researched the Ward family after seeing this movie and also got back into my old sport of boxing. It was an inspiring and also intense movie with a great message and a great life story at the roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keven, I have not seen this film yet; though, I am not sure if I am interested in viewing this film now. I think that the way you spoke about the film that it did not deserve what you gave it. I think that I would more likely desire to view Cinderella Man instead. Based on your post describing how sometimes it seemed a little off topic, in a way, and describing how there was not as much at stake as another film, this post showed me that I was not interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry for mispelling your name, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete