Monday, September 3, 2012

Review of the Reviews

         I thought the vocabulary used for the positive review made it seem more convincing.  Some of the words used, such as thrilling and inspirational, really draw my attention and make it easy for people to consider seeing the movie.  I think these words were selected by the critic because they pertain to movies and they seem to stick out to a reader's eye.  

         As for the negative review, terms like "squeeze the life out" and "boring" were used.  These words were used because of their negativity.  I think for the readers theses words tend to stick out as well and may change a viewers mind about seeing a film.             

         For both the positive and negative reviews, history and culture were discussed.  The positive review felt that Remember the Titans portrayed civil rights very well and everyone could learn a lesson from this film.    
As for the negative review, they felt that the film was an inaccurate portrayal for civil rights and in ways found the film racist.  I think both critics bring out these points because it may very well be the biggest deciding factor for someone to go out and spend 10 dollars on a film.  

          "Has the outer form of a brave statement about the races in America, but the soul of a sports".  I agree with this quote supporting the movie because Remember the Titans seems like just a sports movie but after watching it you realize how much more of a deeper meaning there is.  "A feel-good movie only in the sense that it wants to reassure today's white people about our own enlightenment and how far we've come in the evolution of our attitudes about race".  I can see where the Washington post is coming from on this quote because it does reassure me that racism is coming to an end, but I don't think the film was about that.  I think the film wanted to prove that blacks and whites can come together as one.  

         I believe the positive review is more convincing because of the way it is described.  They describe the movie as a popcorn movie, and lively and inspirational.  They also sell it well when they say "Only a very stony heart could resist its pull".  The negative review just sounds bias and stubborn. 


         If I were to write a one page review on Remember the Titans, I would include the fact that this film can be seen by anyone roughly 10 years of age and up.  This is important for viewers to know because you can know who you can see it with, and if it's okay for your household.  I would also add that this film touches me every time I watch it, and can make a lasting impact on you.  


http://www.metacritic.com/movie/remember-the-titans/critic-reviews
http://www.metacritic.com/user/superpwnman

1 comment:

  1. Good work Kevin. You did a good job analyzing the specific quotes. There are a number of grammar issues though; and, there are no links to the reviews. A little more organization would help. Now this is a "B," but if you want to make these revisions it could move up. Email me to recheck if you want to redo it for the A. -Mr. D.

    ReplyDelete